As you know, TaskRabbit is a Technology Platform that provides an online two sided marketplace allowing Clients and Taskers to connect to get things done around the home. TaskRabbit does not oversee, monitor or supervise the posting of tasks, the scoping of tasks or the performance of Tasks. Clients determine whether a Tasker is qualified to perform the specific Task at hand. Certain Tasks are required to be performed by a licensed professional under applicable state or local law. Each state or jurisdiction has different regulations of the types of work that are required to be performed by a licensed professional and the licensing requirements for such professional. Clients may wish to consult various web resources like this or this or call the state or local licensing agency to determine if a licensed professional is required for a Task. Note, some jurisdictions issue licenses at the local, not state level.
In certain cities (currently Sacramento, Nashville, Baltimore, Raleigh/ Durham and Los Angeles), Clients can now find a Licensed Tasker in the plumbing and electrical categories on the TaskRabbit Platform. TaskRabbit uses the methods below to screen Taskers who request to be identified as a Licensed Tasker (as defined in our Terms of Service) on the TaskRabbit Platform. It is still up to the Clients to understand whether the Licensed Tasker is right for their project.
TaskRabbit confirms that each Licensed Tasker carries the required state-level license to perform the work in the trade and the service area for which such Tasker register to be a Licensed Tasker and is active and in good standing with the licensing authority at the time of registration.
Criminal Background Check
TaskRabbit contracts with a third party consumer background reporting agency to conduct a criminal background search in the state(s) in which the individual Licensed Tasker, or the principal of the company if the Licensed Tasker is licensed as an entity, is located or has address history for relevant criminal activity associated with the address within seven years prior to the Licensed Tasker’s registration on the TaskRabbit Platform.
Good Standing, Bankruptcy and Litigation Check
TaskRabbit confirms each Licensed Tasker which is licensed as an entity is in good standing in the state(s) in which the entity is incorporated/formed and located at the time it seeks to register as Users of the TaskRabbit Platform. TaskRabbit also contracts with a third party to check bankruptcy filings and unreleased and released liens in the state in which the Licensed Tasker is located, occurring within 12 months prior to the Licensed Tasker’s registration on the TaskRabbit Platform.
Tips for Hiring a Licensed Tasker
Ultimately it’s up to you to choose the right pro for your project. When hiring any service professional into your home to perform work, whether through the TaskRabbit Platform or otherwise, we recommend you:
- Ask to see a copy of the Licensed Tasker’s license to verify that it is current and in compliance with all applicable requirements.
- Ask whether the Licensed Tasker is insured and bonded and ask for a copy of the proof of insurance.
- Determine whether permits are required for your Task and work out with the Licensed Tasker whether he or she will obtain the necessary permits.
- You can check the Licensed Tasker’s ratings and reviews in their TaskRabbit profile to see what other Clients have had to say about the Licensed Tasker's work and you should feel free to ask for additional references.
- Section 3 of our Terms of Service state that when a Client hires a Tasker, the Tasker and Client enter into an agreement and that TaskRabbit is not a party to that Agreement. The same is true with Licensed Taskers and depending on the scope of your project you should consider signing a separate contract with the Licensed Tasker you hire with additional terms like a clearly defined scope of work, start and stop dates, maximum number of hours to be billed, lien releases, dispute mechanisms and insurance.. Check out your state contractor licensing board for additional considerations.
- Section 4 of the Terms of Service state that Taskers are responsible for invoicing their Clients within 24 hours of when the work was performed even if the task is not completed or the task is marked as “ongoing”. So, if your Licensed Tasker has not billed you for work completed within 24 hours - please reach out to him or her or let TaskRabbit know so we reach out with that request as well.
- Work on the TaskRabbit Platform is billed on an hourly basis. Let your Licensed Tasker know in the chat thread and/or through a separately signed contract with your Licensed Tasker if you are only agreeing to have him or her perform Task for a certain number of hours and/or that you want to pre-approve through the chat thread any expenses that you will be billed.